Monday, September 1, 2008

More Past Progress

Today I have one more example of the progress of one of my paintings. This one is also from 2005, when I was in Savannah attending grad school there. It has been one of my 'greatest hits' of sorts - the image typically chosen for magazine or online features. So I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it. I suppose its the same for a band who has to keep playing their billboard single years and years after the peak of its popularity (i.e. Nada Surf -"Popular").

This piece started out with quite a few problems. I had originally intended to do a diptych of two 3'x4' panels, but after having some trouble with them I ended up attaching them to each other - here's the back of the panel:

here's the front of the panel before it was primed for painting. Notice the different wood grains of the two panels:I filled the seams with a bondo epoxy and sanded it down. I layered probably 8-10 coats of gesso over the panel before I began painting. The image came from one of my trips to/from Indiana and Georgia:

here's the progress:

(the blue is masking tape)










the lines from the center were laid out with masking tape to help me with the perspective of the piece:




finished. summer 2005.
"Terminal", Acrylic on Panel, 48x72"

This piece is now part of the Savannah College of Art and Design permanent collection.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love seeing the progress of one of your paintings!!! You're amazing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails