Friday, February 23, 2007

Built Enviornments

I've been interested in model train sets lately - especially model houses. Some of my recent work has included houses that are so generic they could almost pass for little plastic models. In light of this recent interest, I'd like to share a couple of artists whose work I relate to - though I must premise that this blog will not just include artwork that reminds me of my own. These two artists make small-scale sculptures that resemble out-of-context model train sets. Jeremy Mora uses a lot of found materials including cinder block fragments, mechanical pencil lead and broken pieces of brick. Michael Samuels uses miniature street lights, c-clamps, and everyday furniture. Here's a couple examples of their work that I enjoyed:


Jeremy Mora Skidmark, 2005
1.5 x 4.5 x 2.75 Inches , cinder block fragment, acrylic, styrene, graphite


Michael Samuels, "Bad Moon" Mixed Media, 2006

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails