Friday, August 24, 2007

Fulgurites and Lightning Art

I try to relate this blog to whatever has been notable to me of late - and last night there was a major thunderstorm. So this morning I learned about fulgurites - according to wikipedia - "Fulgurites (from the Latin fulgur meaning thunderbolt) are natural hollow carrot-shaped glass tubes formed in quartzose sand or soil by lightning strikes. In the right kind of sand the extreme heat generated will form silica glass shapes that trace the path of the lightning. These structures are also sometimes referred to as petrified lightning." So keep an eye out for them next time you're hiking a mountainous area or walking the sands of Egypt.


photos from this fulgurite website - click photos for link

Artist Allan McCollum made an installation/conceptual project based in fulgurites, called, "THE EVENT:
Petrified Lightning from Central Florida

(with Supplemental Didactics)"

you can read this very interesting work here.

And just to mix things up - here's a short video I made of lightning I recorded on my little digital camera in Indiana - with an overlay I took of the moon being passed by clouds:





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails