Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Music for Your Studio; Vol. 23


A while back, I bought a one dollar cd called "The Sea" (pictured above) at the Salvation Army on a total whim. Over time I've played it far more than I ever expected to. I think the joy is in its simplicity - the entire cd consists of field recordings of the sea. There's no ambient soundscapes or soft beats - just waves, seagulls and shifting sand. I love how unadorned it is.


Today's pick for your studio is a recording of a summer thunderstorm in Washington state. It is related to my gem of a find - "The Sea" and equally simple. I don't know about you, but I love falling asleep while its raining. Can't beat it.

If you've been missing out on some nighttime rain or just want to clear your head- Carl Lierman's recording may be just what you need. His description of the recording says that it is a "Extract of a rainstorm in the Puget Sound area of Washington State. The rain is hitting a pavement roadway and surrounding rooftop, with intermittent rips of thunder. Recorded with a Sony PCM-D50, Summer, 2009."

Get the free (and legal) audio here - who knows, this might be your new nighttime reading or sleeping music.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails