Friday, August 29, 2008

Trevor Paglen - Satellites


Active Military and Reconnaissance Satellites of the United States of America
Multimedia Installation

These works by Trevor Paglen (found via Modern Art Notes), show the placement and patterns of US military satellites across the globe. One of our favorite things to do while we're camping is look up and try to find satellites cutting through the constellations. There's a nice Death Cab for Cutie song - called Passenger Seat- which is also about looking for satellites in the night sky. Ben Gibbard sings,

"I roll the window down
And then begin to breathe in
The darkest country road
And the strong scent of evergreen
From the passenger seat as you are driving me home

Then looking upwards
I strain my eyes
And try to tell the difference
Between shooting stars and satellites
From the passenger seat as you are driving me home..."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails