Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Inspiration: Remington's Nocturnes

Frederic S. Remington (1861–1909) "The Old Stage-Coach of the Plains", 1901, Oil on canvas, Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, Texas



I've been digging into Frederic Remington's nocturne/night paintings again recently. I had the great fortune to see an entire exhibition of his night time paintings a few years ago. His use of color in this series is fascinating - unusual blue-greens, subtle golden-taupe-greens, and vibrant blues - frequently contrasted with the rich oranges of candle or firelight. I highly recommend the book devoted to these works called "Frederic Remington: The Color of Night" by Nancy Anderson. Even if western art isn't your subject matter of choice, I think there is a lot to be learned from the palette of Remington. The more I flip through this book, the more intrigued I've become with these paintings. My next body of work for the exhibition in June will surely be influenced by Remington's coloring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was quickly scrolling down your blog and Remington's "Old Stage.."
caught my eye as something familiar - I have seen this several times at the Amon Carter Museum, here in Ft. Worth. I too enjoy night paintings (and photography). One of my favorites is a painting by Peter Hurd, of ranch hands around a campfire in New Mexico. It was on the cover of SW Bell phone book in the late 60's.

Mark
mscantling.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails