Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Accompaniment

I was researching the work of Giulio Aristide Sartorio - a painter I remembered from a trip to Italy some years ago, when I came across a series of war paintings of his that are fantastic. I paired excerpts form the series with aesthetically similar paintings or painters. I'm not meaning to imply one painter looked at the other painter, but it is always interesting to me to see similarities between artists. Unfortunately, the page on which I found these works by Sartorio is written in Italian so I do not translated titles - the series is from 1917-1918.


Giulio Aristide Sartorio, "Attacco aereo di Venezia" ("Air Attack of Venice"), 1917-1918
"Buildings Lancaster", 1930, by Charles Demuth (Source: Wiki Commons), Oil on board, 24 x 20 in
Giulio Aristide Sartorio, "Bombardamento di Quota" ("Bombing of Quota"), 1917-1918
George Bellows, "A Morning Snow: Hudson River", 1910 (Source: Wiki Commons)

Giulio Aristide Sartorio, "L'isola di Fagarè" ("The Island of Fagare"?), 1917-1918James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Harmony in blue and silver: Trouville (1865)
Source: Wikimedia Commons

Giulio Aristide Sartorio,"Gli Austriaci ripassano il Piave" (The Australians Crossing the Piave"), 1917-1918 Frederic Remington (American, 1861–1909), "The Scout: Friends or Foes", 1902–5,
Oil on canvas; 27 x 40 in. from the Met Museum

translations by the talented Patti Hallock

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails