Monday, April 14, 2008

William Jacob Hays


William Jacob Hays, "Herd of Buffalo", Oil on Canvas, 1862
Source: Coogan Photo

I visited the Denver Art Museum yesterday to see the "Inspiring Impressionism" show and wandered through the rest of the museum as well. One of my favorite paintings at the Museum is the piece pictured above, in which the buffalo are literally disappearing into the background - painted at a time in US history when the animals were disappearing from the landscape. Over time I think the Denver Art Museum will become to me what the Chicago Art Institute was for many years - a place that gets better with repeated visits. Visiting the Joseph Cornell collection and Henri Matisse's "Bathers by a River" at the Art Institute in Chicago were never missed - almost like seeing an old friend. I'm sure "Herd of Buffalo" will be among several pieces that I'll make a special point of seeing when I'm at the Denver Art Museum in the future - new old friends if you will.

Henri Matisse, "Bathers by a River", Oil on Canvas, 1909, 1913, 1916, 260x390 cm

3 comments:

Katharine Smith-Warren said...

I agree Nathan. I like that painting too and particulalry enjoy revisiting the Spanish Colonial rooms at the DAM.
How about an open thread so people can share what pieces they most enjoy seeing at the DAM?
It isn't the Met or the Art Institute but there are treasures there- and no crowds beyond the special exhibits!

Nathan said...

It is a great painting. What do you mean by 'open thread'?

Katharine Smith-Warren said...

you suggest a topic and ask readers to chime in with their thoughts on the topic: ie> their favorite piece in the DAM and why.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails